Welcome to a new guide to ‘ The 5 best gaming keyboards of 2019 !
Of course you can play with a normal keyboard.
But, if you are reading this, possibly, more than once, you have become tired of one of these situations:
Not finding the keys right at night and that this forces you to turn on the light or stop playing.
Find yourself with ghost pulses or type a command twice by mistake in the moments of more action.
Suffer the low quality of the keys with little resistance and travel of your usual keyboard or laptop.
The solution is in your hands (never better said), your games are crying out for a good keyboard.
Where to start?
The price range within the gaming keyboards is quite broad and, even if you manage a specific budget, the options are many.
To help you in the task of buying your next keyboard to play, we guide you through three sections:
First, we analyze what characteristics you should consider before buying.
Second, we compare the best brands of gaming keyboards with their strong and weak ports.
And finally, we present the best 5 keyboards for gaming that we have found in the market today.
For this last, we have helped the full catalog for players offered by the Amazon store , undoubtedly one of the most complete when it comes to buying and not only keyboards, if not any peripheral for your computer.
But, before moving on to our top 5, let’s take a look at the most important features you should review before making your purchase.
1. Before buying a keyboard to play: previous tips
Surely you have thought about choosing your next keyboard according to the budget you have available.
Although this is the most obvious point to keep in mind before buying, there are many others.
Let’s go see them
Do you have little space?
A good option is to use a compact format keyboard , even one dedicated exclusively to gaming .
This last type of keyboards carry only the most used keys to play and do not replace your usual keyboard.
This is ideal if you have a laptop and do not want to take up too much space with a gamingkeyboard full-format .
We recommend that you take a look at the A4Tech model that we have included in the rankingwith the best gaming keyboards .
Mechanical or membrane?
Both have their pros and cons.
We are, as a rule, accustomed to membrane keyboards.
These work with two conductors and a membrane that pushes those two layers and registers the pulsation. Its positive points is that, having fewer pieces, they are thinner and lighter and also quite affordable .
The mechanical keyboards , on the other hand, work thanks to a complete mechanism in each key: base, spring and shank.
This rod determines the type of drive and travel. And the spring, the resistance that the key will have in front of the pulsation.
They are more durable, with better touch and response and robust.
For these reasons, they are usually the best keyboards to write and play.
Logically, these advantages translate into a higher cost and greater weight. Normally they also generate more noise.
Your choice depends on your preferences and what you can spend on your keyboard to play.
Do you want the quality of mechanical keyboard typing, but are you worried about the noise? There are alternatives, we tell you below.
Travel and resistance of the keys
Surely you already have clear that your first option will be a mechanical keyboard.
But do you know that not all mechanical keyboards have the same type of keys ?
The best known types are those used by Corsair.
We tell you a little, within these, which are the most common and how they differ , so you can choose the one that best suits you.
The most popular types of keys are the Cherry MX Red, Cherry MX Brown and Cherry MX Blue. The latter, in fact, you can find it in one of the keyboards that we have analyzed in the top .
Check it out!
Of these commented formats, the Red keys are the closest to the sensations that a traditional mechanical keyboard would give you . The pulsation is linear and there is no response to typing (which makes them quieter).
Is it more natural for you to receive some type of response when typing?
You also have the Cherry Brown , the most used switches .
They maintain a good resistance and add a tactile response towards the middle of the key stroke.
And the Blue ones? In addition to that response, they also click when activated . Logically, they emit more noise than the previous ones.
If you want the greatest resistance in the keys and that they have a linear , traditional route , choose the Cherry MX Black . They are the least typical, but their hardness will remind you of old keyboards and typewriters.
The last option we offer you is the Razer own switches , which the brand has called Green : These have great hardness and, in addition, tactile response and click . An all in one if you prefer not to have to choose.
The decision is easy: Do you want to have backlighting on your next keyboard? For gaming we would say that it is almost essential.
The keyboards to play more basic will provide a simple lighting, in a single tone , just enough to see the keys clearly in darkness and give an attractive effect at the aesthetic level.
However, if you invest a few euros more, you will have the option to access adjustable lighting, to adapt it to the lighting conditions of the moment.
Or even RGB backlight , which will allow you to set specific colors for each type or group of commands / keys.
Are you just going to space? Some keyboards come with built-in USB and microphone / headphone ports .
With them, you will free connections from your PC, earning some extras. You can also use shorter cables.
Do you have clear which characteristics are best for you?
Take a look now at the brands analyzed.
The leading brand of gaming keyboards .
Even your Cherry contacts for the keys are used by other brands within the sector.
On Corsair keyboards you will find the greatest variety of configurations, functions, extras …
They also stand out for having a good construction .
Its price, as the main drawback, is higher than that of the competition.
It also has its own switches or contacts, like Corsair.
In general, their keyboards are not as complete in functions and their price is similar to that of the latter brand.
In manufacturing materials, it does not stand out either.
However, it is a very good alternative because of its design and different models .
The most well-known brand in the sector of computer peripherals.
It has a good quality-price ratio .
It does not produce keyboards as advanced as those of Razer and Corsair, but it will be a great option if you are looking for a more affordable gaming keyboard .
In this guide, we focus on a specific model of A4Tech, a secondary keyboard for playing.
All in all, it is a fairly established brand in the world of keyboards.
Perhaps it has been somewhat obsolete with respect to the competition, but its price is very economical and its quality manufacturing materials .
It represents the most affordable alternative within the brands that we have analyzed for our top .
If you are looking for an unbeatable price tag with the essential functions to play and an acceptable quality , Krom is your brand.
With the most popular signatures in mind, we teach you the most interesting keyboards to play at the moment.
2. The best gaming keyboards of 2019
- Gaming keyboard built with Razer switches, designed from scratch for use in video games
- Its fast touch with great response and performance allows the great advantage when playing
- The durability of the Razer switches allows you to enjoy up to 80 million pulsations
- Fully programmable green backlit keys with 5 effect options
- All keys are fully programmable, as well as 10 continuous anti-ghosting keys
A Razer mechanical keyboard, which is available in multiple versions : you have it with or without backlight (single tone or RGB), with or without palm rest, in plastic or with metal surface …
However, the version with better finishes (metallic and with wrist rests) greatly increases the price of the keyboard. This is the biggest drawback we have found.
Therefore, we recommend the option of lighting in green or RGB, without additions.
On the other hand, the keys have a great tour, good resistance and tact … Their speed and precision will not fail you in the most crucial moments of the game.
In addition, with it you can record macros or combinations of keys to your liking.
You can even further refine your efficiency thanks to the game mode and its function that avoids typing “ghost” : you will never lose the game by pressing an incorrect key.
- Weight: 299 g
- Backlit keys individually (green color) and dynamic effects
- It allows the simultaneous recording of macros.
- Actuation force of the 50 g keys
- Combinations of 10 keys along with “anti-ghosting” protection
- Full sized keyboard
- with Braided fiber cable
- With a USB connection and two integrated ports: audio outputt / microphone and USB input
- it Includes game mode
- Good Powerful lighting and it does not tire the eyes.
- Touch and resistance of the keys that gives very good feelings.
- The ports that it include (USB and microphone / headphones) are very useful.
- High price
- The materials of manufacture (totally plastics) and the finishing (only the option of greater cost has palm rest).
- Being a mechanical keyboard with enough resistance in the keys, it generates more noise than those of membrane or mechanical keyboards of lower resistance.
It’s for you if
- You look for a very configurable keyboard (programmable keys, macros) and with good lighting. Perfect if you are a more advanced player and do not mind investing a little more money on the keyboard.
- You do not mind that the keyboard is a bit noisy and you like a typing sensation close to that of the old typewriters .
- You come using a membrane keyboard and you want to start using a mechanical and quality one. The Green switches of Razer have a resistance and very high tours, but, at the same time, they maintain the touch and click response typical of the membrane keyboards. The perfect combination.
Backlit gaming keyboard with optical mouse included
- LED backlight orange adjustable
- Adjustable sensitivity: 800/1200/1600/2400 dpi
- Mouse with ambidextrous ergonomic design
- Device interface: wired USB
This KROM gaming keyboard is the most economical option , ideal if you are just budget.
It comes with mouse included (with design and matching lighting): you will not have to buy it separately.
Not being a mechanical keyboard, the good touch of its keys makes the feeling of use come very close.
The general construction is also robust and of quality.
Logically, you will not find in this keyboard so economic more advanced functions as the “anti-ghosting” or the recording of macros, but it is a keyboard with a great value for money.
- Dimensions (keyboard): 57.6 x 24.6 x 4.4 cm
- Weight (keyboard): 950 g
- Adjustable mouse sensitivity, from 800 to 2400 dpi
- Strength of resistance of the keys of 55 grams and 3.6 mm of travel
- LED backlit keys in orange
- With 6 multimedia keys
- USB connection
- It is the most economical option in our ranking .
- Includes mouse.
- Good finish and quality materials
- The keys have no “anti-ghosting” function.
- It does not allow to record macros.
It’s for you if
- You want to go from a conventional keyboard to a gaming one , but without spending too much.
- It will be your first keyboard to play and you want to start with the basics: have LED lighting and good keys.
Keyboard to play with programmable keys and two levels of illumination
- Long-term backlighting
- Six programmable G-keys
- Game mode switch
- Operating system Windows 8, Windows 7 or Windows Vista; Max OS X 10.4 or later
- 18 unique functions and combinations of macros quickly and consistently
From a well-known and very complete brand, this is Logitech’s G105.
Its construction and internal lighting are of quality.
However, due to its low price, it does not have the touch or feel that a mechanical keyboard would give you.
Ideal if you want all the possible benefits at a fairly small cost.
- Dimensions: 1.9 x 47.9 x 19 cm
- Weight: 836 g
- LED backlit keys in blue, with two intensity levels
- Six programmable G-keys
- It allows to record simultaneous macros.
- WASD keys and highlighted cursors
- With game mode
- USB connection
- Quality lighting with two intensity modes
- Game mode
- Price-performance ratio
- Keys somewhat weak, do not have enough resistance.
- Arrangement of very narrow keys, small keys
It’s for you if
- You are looking for a backlit economic gaming keyboard that is complete in functions (macros, lighting levels, game mode …)
- You are a player who wants to have all the options at hand, but you do not play too often.
A secondary keyboard for gaming
- With USB connection
- 48 keys
- Water tight
- Recommended for gaming
Do you want to experience the sensations of a gaming keyboard , but do not have space or use a laptop ?
We already know that the keyboards of laptops are not usually the best to play. That without counting the wear of the keys that occurs while playing.
This A4Tech keyboard has the necessary keys for gaming , with dedicated WASD keys and everything in a very small size.
Of course, remember that it is a complementary keyboard and does not have all the keys.
Neither is it a mechanical keyboard, but its keys have a good rubber finish and touch : they will give you many hours of play and, in addition, spending very little.
- Weight: 640 g
- Featured WASD keys
- USB connection
- Water tight
- English QWERTY
- Mini format keyboard: 48 keys
- Good touch of the keys, with rubber finish
- It does not occupy space.
- The labeling of the keys is somewhat mediocre, especially those of function and volume.
- It is not a mechanical keyboard.
It’s for you if
- You need a secondary keyboard to play : You have a laptop, the computer is not yours or, simply, you want to extend the life of the keyboard you use regularly, using one dedicated especially for games.
- You have little space and you want a compact keyboard to play and use along with your laptop.
Brushed aluminum keyboard with RGB lighting and palm rest
- Keys with large fonts and a vibrant adjustable backlight
- 100% protection against zero pulsations with 104 USB keys detection
- Anodized brushed aluminum structure of aerospace quality
- Contoured, special texture keys provide maximum grip and enhanced feel
- Ready for an uninterrupted game and ready to connect a mouse or a wireless headphone adapter
Your best choice if you bet on the high range when it comes to making a gaming keyboard .
This little keyboard of Corsair can be asked at the level of personalization and features: macros, palm rest, game mode, light levels …
It is the best known and sold among gamers .
You have it available in versions of different lighting and resistance (with its consequent greater or lesser noise).
We recommend the Cherry Brown model : a medium term between Blue (the pure essence of a mechanical keyboard) and Red (quieter and faster, but with less resistance and travel of the keys).
Its cons could say that they are those of a quality mechanical keyboard: it is heavier and noisier.
- Dimensions: 48 x 21.8 x 9 cm
- Weight: 1.8 kg
- LED backlight in RGB colors, dimmable
- 2 mm stroke of the keys and 55 g drive force
- Programmable keys, allows recording of macros.
- Includes wrist rest.
- WASD keys highlighted, interchangeable and with special texture
- Includes USB port.
- “Anti-ghosting” function
- With dedicated multimedia controls
- USB connection
- Available in several versions with different colors of LED lighting
- It has wrist rest for comfort.
- Very customizable thanks to the recording of macros and their adjustable light modes.
- Dedicated, removable and interchangeable WASD keys
- Quality materials: it has a brushed aluminum structure.
- High price
- Heavy and somewhat noisy
It’s for you if
- You do not want to skimp on features and settings. You are a pretty advanced player.
- You look for a keyboard that gives you the greatest comfort and quality.